I used to make this Greek salad at the “Souvlaki Stand” on the island of Corfu. To this day, it remains my favorite summer salad. It’s classic. It’s simple. It can be a meal or a side. It’s the epitome of summer vegetables in their simple glory.
Real Greek Salad
- 3 cups (1-inch-chunked) peeled cucumber (about 2 medium)
- 3 cups (1-inch-chunked) tomato (about 2 pounds)
- 1 large onion, cut in half and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Flake sea salt (like Maldon)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
Toss together cucumber, tomato, onion, feta and olives. Drizzle oil and sprinkle salt on top, and toss again. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and oregano before serving.
Copyright 2014 by Nourish Network