Looking for a satisfying veggie burger recipe? These portobello burgers will win you over from beef burgers … they’re that good. Portobello mushrooms have a meaty texture that appeals even to committed carnivores.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of sea salt
- 8 large portobello mushrooms, gills scraped out with a spoon
- ½ sweet onion, cut crosswise into 4 thick slices
- 1 large firm tomato, cut crosswise into 4 thick slices
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 4 mini whole grain ciabiatta buns (or other whole grain bun), halved
- 1/4 cup Faux Aioli
Whisk together first 5 ingredients. Place portobellos in a shallow dish, and rub with marinade. Pour any extra over the top and let sit for 30 minutes.
Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush onion and tomato with oil. Grill onion and mushrooms for 3-5 minutes per side, until tender and slightly bronzed. Grill tomato for 3 minutes on one side.
Turn mushrooms gill-side up and lay the mozzarella on top. Grill for another 3-4 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Toast the buns on the grill for 1 minute and spread both top and bottom with the Faux Aioli. Top each bun with two mushrooms, 1 onion slice and a tomato.