Let the parsnip stand in for the potato in these healthy oven fries. Parsnips have an earthy sweetness, making them an interesting alternative to same-old, same-old spud fries. These, with sliced garlic and Parmesan, are downright addictive.
- 1-1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled cut into 1/4-inch x 1/4-inch x 3-inch batonettes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced paper thin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Toss the parsnips with the oil and garlic until thoroughly coated, and then toss again with salt and pepper. Lay out on a cookie sheet in a single layer (keep the bowl for later).
Place sheet in the middle of the preheated oven and bake 15-20 minutes, turning with a spatula about every 5 minutes. Then cook an additional 10 minutes or to desired crispiness.
Remove from the oven and return parsnips to the bowl. Toss the fries with the cheese, rosemary and additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes