This recipe brings together all the best of a BLT in a salad: crisp lettuce, salty bacon, juicy tomatoes and a tangy stand-in for mayo with buttermilk dressing . . . not even the bread is left out.
- Buttermilk Dressing:
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, well-shaken
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons onion, peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices center-cut bacon
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 4 cups chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed rustic whole grain bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
Shake all dressing ingredients together in a tight-sealing jar until well blended.
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and spoon 2 teaspoons bacon fat into a large salad bowl. Toss lettuce with drippings. Add remaining salad ingredients and toss well again. Top with crumbled bacon.