I know, I know; this recipe has a lot of layers to it. But think of it as four meals in one—farro, grilled eggplant, summer pesto and salsa fresca. Make a little extra of each one and you’ll have a week’s worth of meals . . . along with an impressive dish for dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 cup farro
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound eggplant, sliced crosswise 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salsa Fresca
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- Mix together all ingredients and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Makes 1-1/2 to 2 cups
- Summer Pesto
- 1 packed cup fresh basil, and other summer herbs
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- In a food processor, pulse together basil through garlic. With the processor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Season to taste with salt.
- Makes ½ cup
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion for 3 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, and saute another 2 minutes. Add tomato to pan with 1/2 the salt and bring to a simmer. Add farro to the pan and toss to coat with onion/tomato mixture. Pour in water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover ,and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
Heat grill to medium-high. Brush eggplant slices with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with remaining salt. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side, until browned and tender.
To assemble, lay an eggplant slice on a plate and spread with roughly 1 teaspoon pesto. Spread 1/4 cup of farro over the top and repeat once more. Top second layer with a final slice of eggplant and top with salsa fresca and crumbled feta cheese.